Apple is reportedly set to join the Partnership on AI, an artificial intelligence research group that includes Amazon, Alphabet’s Google, Facebook, and Microsoft. Apple’s admission into the group could be announced as soon as this week, reports Bloomberg, quoting unnamed “people familiar with the situation.”Read More
Apple CEO Tim Cook told the Nikkei Asian Review that the company's upcoming research and development base in Yokohama, Japan will develop artificial intelligence (AI) and other technologies. Cook described it as a center for "deep engineering." He said it will be "very different" from the R&D base Apple plans to build in China.Read More
Last year Apple acquired a UK startup that’s developed a natural language application programming interface [API] that allows humans and machines to have a much more natural conversation. It will use the technology for a “big upgrade” to Siri, its voice-activated digital assistant, reports Tech Insider.Read More
REMINDER: AWT News Update will be on hiatus between 5/26 and 6/6/16, returning on June 7.
A few stories for today:
- Apple's hopes in India are dashed by some government bureaucrats who decided that the company would not be given an exemption to a local-sourcing rule
- Foxconn managed to reduce workforce by 60,000 people at one plant in Kunshan, China. How? It gave their jobs to robots
- A fantastic piece by Brian Roemmele over on Medium points out that a new and improved Siri may be just about ready to debut
Just a short podcast today with three news stories for your Apple fix:
- Apple purchases VocalIQ, a company that's been working on a conversational man-machine voice interface API
- iCloud Data Centers are being expanded around the globe to hold your photos, videos, and other data
- The Apple Watch is coming to five European countries next Friday, and two countries in South America the following week.