If you’re like many of us, Tuesday’s Apple Event was inspiring. Seeing the new devices and operating systems in action is enough to make just about anyone excited. If you’ve ever considered becoming an iOS developer, today’s the day to get started as we have The Complete iOS SDK Development Course on sale for $12.99.Read More
As a person who has covered the Apple ecosystem for a long, long time, it really surprised me that I didn’t know about Micro.blog. It’s a service and set of apps (web, iOS and Mac) developed by longtime Apple developer Manton Reece to give microbloggers — those who write short posts on services like Twitter, Instagram and Facebook — more control over their writing. I’ve been playing with Micro.blog recently, and thought it would be a good topic for review since many of our readers are looking for ways to have control of what they’re sending out on the Internet.Read More
On today's podcast, we discuss a slightly less pricey Oculus headset, an update to Twitter for Apple TV, and how you can take notes on your Apple Watch:
- But first, a note from our sponsor this week -- AR Tape Measure from It's About Time Products.
- Facebook's Oculus today introduced a $199 VR Headset called Go that doesn't require a powerful PC to operate
- Tweet and watch TV at the same time with the new Apple TV Twitter app
- Popular cross-platform notes app Bear gets an Apple Watch client for creating and appending notes right from your wrist
As the month of September winds down and the daylight hours start getting shorter, we have a shorter than usual podcast for you today.
- iOS 11 is now installed on 25% of all iOS devices, a bit slower than last year but a much higher uptake rate than Android ever sees
- You can now fill your Starbucks card from Apple Pay on the Apple Watch
- Twitter is testing longer tweets, for even longer rants by unhinged individuals
- Amazon and Apple are apparently best buds now, with the Apple TV reappearing on Amazon after a two-year hiatus
AirPods, Twitter, and Thunderbolt are all in the news today. Listen to the Apple World Today News Update podcast and hear all about them:
- Apple's AirPods received a firmware update today, although it may not be apparent that it's actually been installed
- Twitter's Apple TV app got an update with support for live 360 video and a new Periscope Global Map
- Intel plans to push the Thunderbolt protocol by making the specification available to manufacturers nonexclusive and royalty-free
Leaked schematics, financial results, firing talking heads, and more HomeKit devices -- that's what's on the AWT News Update today:
- A well-known provider of good leaked info sent out a tweet today showing a new iPhone 8 schematic
- Twitter is apparently harvested a bumper crop of new users during its first quarter of 2017, most likely all parroting each other with stupid political comments
- ESPN will cut 100 "on-air talent" positions and bolster its digital content
- The HomeKit product page has been updated with some new products and a few no-shows have been eliminated
Today's news covers the spectrum from a change at Apple retail outlets to social networks to USB problems with macOS 10.12.4:
- Apple is apparently eliminating business-related positions at Apple retail outlets by the end of April
- Twitter makes a change that allows those obnoxious political screeds to be even longer by no longer counting user names in replies towards the 140-character limit
- Facebook adds a personal fundraiser feature
- USB problems with 10.12.4 appear to be causing issues for a lot of people using USB headsets (and microphones!)
Ahhh, back from a nice weekend in the Colorado Rockies, Steve has three fascinating little stories from the world of tech and Apple that you just have to hear!
- In the near future, you won't need to set up your own Plex media server to use the service, as the company is moving Plex to the cloud
- Last week, Salesforce.com was being bandied about as a possible suitor for Twitter. Today's possible hot date for Twitter? Think Mickey or Minnie Mouse...
- A group of developers got a bit silly at a company retreat and decided to test the water resistance of the iPhone 7 Smart Battery Case. Find out how it did!
'Twas the day before iPhone 7 and all through the house, everybody was waiting for the UPS guy, that louse... Sorry, but I couldn't think of anything that rhymed. Anyway, we have a lot of fun little stories for you on the podcast today:
- Apple ships a second Golden Master of macOS Sierra
- A look at a 2014 filing shows that a company that's creating long-distance wireless charging technology expects to get "Apple certification"
- Planning on watching the NFL Thursday Night Football game on Twitter tonight?
- IK Multimedia comes out with an audio interface that just happens to work with Lightning ports
There's nothing quite like having a conversation on Twitter the morning of Labor Day that shows you a very useful iPhone accessory you've never seen before. It all started when @halsherman retweeted this message and photo from @craftydeano:Read More
Remember Apple’s Twitter account? Probably not. It’s been pretty inactive since its creation in September 2011. However, now @Apple is showing signs of life, probably in anticipation of the next week’s “See you on the 7th media event.”Read More