Did you visit Apple World Today over the weekend? If you did, you probably noticed some subtle changes, like the addition of the word “Forum” in the menu at the top of the page. Those changes have already been announced to the members of Team AWT , the group of Apple World Today readers that support this website through monthly or annual donations. The big news is the addition of the Team AWT Community Forum.Read More
Happy St. Patrick's Day (one day early)! Today's Apple World Today News Update Podcast includes a pot of gold and a leprechaun, as well as the usual important and informative news bits:
- Apple World Today has launched the new Team AWT Community Forum, an online discussion group for Team AWT members
- Are you a developer in Paris? If so, look in your email inbox for an invitation to an Apple event next Friday
- That Steve Jobs job application from 1973? It sold at auction for $174,000
- Apple's R&D expenditures this year are going to be HUGE
Steve's finally back from his Spring Training trip, and has several timely news items for today's podcast:
- Are you a Team AWT member? Keep an eye on your email inbox for something new...
- Apple's App Store has been blocked in Iran today, although nobody is owning up to who's doing the blocking
- Media giant iHeartMedia has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, struggling with streaming competitors like Apple and Spotify, ad revenues flowing to Facebook and Google, and a lack of radio listeners
- Google's changing its wearables brand from Android Wear to Wear OS in hopes of being more competitive with the Apple Watch line
Tonight's the night for AWT TV, and although Dennis Sellers is back from his vacation, he'll be attending the grad-school graduation of his daughter-in-law like a good father-in-law should! Marty Edwards and I will be partners in crime for the new episode, and we'd like to invite you to watch or -- if you're a Team AWT member -- join in on the livestream.Read More
Note: Apple World Today is still in "holiday mode" today, but we'll have occasional updates throughout the day.
As we get into 2017 and will soon celebrate two full years of AWT, we'd like to ask a favor of those of you who read the site each and every day, but don't support Apple World Today through our Team AWT program. The favor? Consider joining Team AWT to provide continuing support of our mission and get some great stuff in return!Read More
Team AWT members -- just wanted to let you know that we'll be back to our usual programming in the next week. What I found early in my trip is that the internet service on the ship was slow -- not just slow, but so slow that doing things like uploading a podcast was impossible.
Fortunately, the time off has given me a lot of inspiration for special things to add to the Team AWT program to help build our membership. Expect to see some changes in early 2016!Read More
It's Slow News Friday™ other than the great stories coming out of the Windy City about the Cubs World Series victory parade. So what do we have for you today? A couple of stories about our favorite website and a look at some new smartphones coming from China soon:
- Apple World Today made a bunch of changes over the past 24 hours, some that won't be visible (but should help speed up the site) and one that we'd like you to use
- Have you joined Team AWT yet? Get premium content for just $60 and help support your favorite Apple site. And now, pay with Apple Pay!
- You may not be familiar with the names Huawei and Xiaomi, but these two Chinese smartphone manufacturers are taking aim at the USA market
At the beginning of each month we get a pretty good idea of what's happening financially with the site, and we were sad to see that we were down about $200 per month in Team AWT donations. That's still one of the big sources of Apple World Today revenue, so we decided to make it easier for people to join -- you can now pay with Apple Pay!Read More
At Apple World Today, we love nothing more than giving our awesome readers cool stuff for free. And, since we need user support to keep the website growing and healthy, we like to ask our readers on the web, on RSS, and on Apple News to consider joining Team AWT. Team AWT is our subscription service that brings you extras in return for your continuing support of Apple World Today, and for just $5 a month you not only get the warm fuzzies of keeping Steve, Dennis and Marty off the streets, but also get to enter our giveaways!Read More
At midnight Pacific Time tonight, entries close for the Team AWT drawing for a Drobo 5Dt Thunderbolt 2 storage device and five 2TB drives to go in it (value estimated at almost $1,200). To be eligible to enter and possibly win, you must be a member of Team AWT, our premium subscription service. For more information on the benefits provided by Team AWT, please check out this page.Read More
In our Apple news headlines for this afternoon:
- Be sure to join Team AWT and enter into our giveaway for a Drobo 5Dt by clicking this link.
- Apple wants some new "professional" emoji to be added to Unicode
- Code hidden inside the latest macOS Sierra beta shows that future Macs may support second-generation USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3
- Tim Cook unlocked a big, big bonus for himself today
- The US Treasury Department chastised the European Commission's Competition Directorate in a white paper issued today, based on the directorate's pursuit of back taxes from Apple
Can you believe we're already halfway through August? While that's bad news for the kids who have to head back to school, it's great news for Apple World Today readers who have joined Team AWT because they only have to wait another two weeks to find out who won the Drobo 5Dt we're giving away.Read More
Probably one of the slowest Apple news days in a while, but we have a pair of stories for you as well as a reminder that it's a good time to join Team AWT:
- Beta 6 of macOS Sierra, iOS, tvOS and watchOS all arrived for developers today
- Honda announces support for Apple CarPlay with properly-equipped models of the Civic Hatchback
- Team AWT is our subscription-based "super version" of the website, providing extra content and giveaways for as little as $5 per month. Join today!