T-Mobile has launched an iPhone and iPad leasing program that extends financing from Apple to businesses activating 25 or more lines with the wireless carrier. For a limited time, T-Mobile will cover the first $100 of every device leased through the program.Read More
Before you head off for your fun weekend, be sure to load this episode of the Apple World Today News Update podcast so you can be up to speed on the latest news in the world of Apple and the telecom industry:
Apple debuts a new portal for the Apple Online Store that features a modern design that's clean and easy to use
The HomePod can now read the news in Canada, France and Germany
5G networks are coming, and it looks like the 2018 iPhones may use a new modem chip from Intel that not only supports 5G and all existing wireless standards, but also runs on both CDMA and GSM networks
Time Warner has now officially been devoured by AT&T, and T-Mobile and Sprint will file their merger application on Monday
Wow, this is the last Monday of the month of April, 2018...which will never be seen again. What happened on this unique date in history?
A well-known Apple analyst steps down from his post, leaving a void in the world of Apple rumors
Sprint and T-Mobile have announced that they're engaged to be married. We're not sure when the nuptials will be held, but they're expecting a 5G network
Cross-platform writing app Bear got a nice update today, and you can now publish ebooks from Bear if that's what you want to do
The Mobile Authentication Taskforce, comprised of AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon, reveals product details of the next-generation mobile authentication platform at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.Read More
There are a lot of little news items today dealing with video content, 5G, and Apple's sky-high share price:
- Hit-or-miss director M. Night Shyamalan (good: The Sixth Sense, really bad: The Last Airbender) is the latest to get a green light from Apple for an original series. Thank God he's only directing one episode...
- There's a big sale on 4K HDR movies and more in the iTunes Store right now
- Mobile providers T-Mobile and Sprint throw their hats into the 5G ring
- AAPL reached a new record high of $180.48 before retreating today, buoyed by nice words from Warren Buffett
On today's Apple World Today News Update podcast - fashionably overpriced Apple Watch bands, new Intel chips that won't be used in the iMac Pro, better transit directions Down Under, and a really good deal for superannuated iPhone users:
- Coach announces a new line of Apple Watch bands starting at $150 for the fall season
- Intel announced a new series of desktop processors, but it's unlikely that the speedy chips are destined for the upcoming iMac Pro
- In the Land Down Under, transit instructions in Apple Maps have now been added for Queensland and Western Australia
- T-Mobile creates an unlimited plan for the over-55 crowd that has Steve ready to throw his walker at AT&T
Steve's back from a short hiatus; many thanks to Dennis for filling in with a non-verbal podcast of sorts! What do we have for you today?
- Don't care about the upcoming iPhone 8 but would like an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus? T-Mobile has an amazing deal on the existing iPhones as part of a trade-in plan.
- We've already told you that South Korea's LG Chem will be making iPhone batteries in the future, but did you know that the former supplier is allegedly working on electric car batteries with Apple?
- Google Play Music subscribers can now take advantage of their music in CarPlay-equipped automobiles
As the week winds down, we have a short Friday podcast for you:
- The going is tough in Germany, where negotiations with the country's banks to allow Apple Pay are "in a tough state"
- The yellow and magenta networks may merge, making...red? (Hmmm, Verizon has a lock on red, doesn't it?)
- One Wall Street analyst thinks the iPhone 8 will come in 128 and 256GB versions at price tags of $999 and $1,099 respectively
T-Mobile has began rolling out Scam ID and Scam Block to customers to safeguard them from scam calls. With Scam ID, customers are automatically alerted when an incoming call is likely a scam.Read More
T-Mobile really, really wants your business. Starting today, anyone who brings their number to the wireless carrier can get an iPhone 7 – or iPhone 7 Plus for $100 – after trade-in and rebate. This screaming deal is available for new and existing customers, but it only lasts through Thursday, March 16.Read More
Today was a "kinda slow" news day to start off what should be a rather exciting week of Apple news. Tomorrow's the Q4 2016 Earnings Call, while Thursday Apple is holding its "hello again" Mac event. So what happened on this slow Monday?
- Some readers reported having issues connecting to Apple's iCloud Music Library today
- The Apple Watch Nike+ will be available on Friday, October 28
- T-Mobile says the iPhone 7 was partially responsible for better-than-expected quarterly earnings
- Mac sales are expected to be down yet again for the quarter that ended on September 30, but Thursday's event will hopefully provide a much needed boost to the Mac line's bottom line.