As we head into the weekend before an Apple event next Tuesday, we have a handful of short news items to keep you entertained and up-to-date:
- Disney is pulling streaming rights for Star Wars and Marvel titles from other services, keeping them only for the upcoming Disney streaming service
- Siri Remotes are on backorder or out of stock in a number of countries -- could a newly-designed Siri Remote be on tap for Tuesday?
- Spotify won't give Apple Safari users access to its Web Player
- A group of Microsoft interns has developed a new useful Mac app for users of Office 365
Here's a fun bit of design trivia for you. The Wall Street Journal published a big article on Apple chief designer Jony Ive's touches on the soon-to-be-opened Apple Park today, but that's not the key piece of the article in my opinion. The fascinating bit? Apple's white plastic earbuds that came with the original iPod and have since morphed into the EarPods and AirPods we know so well were influenced by none other than the sparkling white body armor of Star Wars Stormtroopers.Read More
Apple remains the world’s most valuable brand, up 14% to $145.9 billion, according to the latest Brand Finance rankings. However, the brand valuation and strategy consultancy says Disney is the “most powerful,” thanks to the record-breaking success of Star Wars VII: The Force AwakenRead More
Yes, we know it just came out yesterday, but it already appears (no spoilers!) that Star Wars: The Force Awakens is a hit. It's so much of a hit that we're sure you will want to buy the movie for your personal video library, and what better way to do that than to pre-order it today on iTunes for just US$19.99 in HD or in standard definition for $14.99.Read More
In your Apple news today:
- Apple is invited to bid for digital broadcasting rights to NFL's Thursday Night Football
- There's a dedicated Star Wars radio station on Apple Music
- Missed the "Steve Jobs" movie? It'll be out on digital February 2, 2016 and on Blu-ray and DVD February 16.
- Do you like Facebook Messenger? You can now use it to order an Uber ride!