Just before the expected release of macOS Sierra, Apple has updated Safari to version 10.0. According to the release notes:Read More
Last week’s WWDC announcements pointed to some welcome changes to the upcoming macOS Sierra to improve the productivity of Mac users, but there was one part of the user experience that was seemingly ignored — window management on the Mac. Fortunately, there’s a utility that can speed up window switching, even on large-screen Macs with dozens of open apps and multiple displays — Contexts.Read More
The AWT News Update is back to normal mode today, with a few followup stories from yesterday's torrent of product announcements and operating system updates:
- YouTube for iOS gets an update that provides some iOS 9 multitasking support, but not the one feature that everyone wanted
- The 9.7-inch iPad Pro has a few shortcomings compared to its big brother, despite the fact that both devices use the same processors
- In case you thought yesterday's OS X update was a bit wimpy, you weren't looking at the security updates that were included.
- Ever heard of an embedded SIM? That new iPad Pro has one, and it points to a future free from swapping or removing SIM cards
Like clockwork, Apple has been releasing developer betas of OS X El Capitan, watchOS, tvOS, and iOS on Mondays about two weeks apart and then following up two days later with public betas. Today brought beta 4 of OS X El Capitan 10.11.4, watchOS 2.2, tvOS 9.2, and iOS 9.3 to registered developers, and we can expect the public beta versions to drop on Wednesday.Read More
Back when I was doing a lot of Mac consulting, one of my go-to tools was Network Utility, a handy app that was always in the Utilities folder where I could bring it up to troubleshoot network problems. Now that I'm "just" a publisher/blogger, I don't have that much of a need to use Network Utility. So this weekend when I was working on setting up encryption for the site and ran into some issues, I decided it was time to use my old favorite utility again... but I couldn't find it. It turns out it's still around on all of our Macs, just in hiding.Read More
The Broncos and Panthers are going to the Super Bowl, but that's not the news for today. Apple fans will like to know that:
- The second developer betas of OS X El Capitan 10.11.4, watchOS 2.2, tvOS 9.2 and iOS 9.3 were released today
- Apple's 1Q 2016 earnings call is tomorrow. Expect a record quarter, but things won't probably look as bright for the second quarter of fiscal year 2016
- Apple gets support from an unexpected source
- The Truth Is Out There™ and here's where to get it on your Apple devices.
Many thanks to this week's sponsor, younity, a free cross-platform cloud solution for sharing files, music, video, and more!Read More
OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan has been released to the public in the last hour, and is starting to make its way into the Software Update section of the Mac App Store for those who are currently running the latest version of the Mac operating system.Read More
Big iPads, subscription apps, PDF Expert goes Mac, and errors on OS X:
- iFixit tears down the iPad Pro, and they find big speakers!
- Castro for iOS has gone the patronage model
- Readdle introduced PDF Expert for Mac today, and makes PDF Expert for iOS free for a while
- Certificate expiration errors galore
Whew, we almost didn't get this podcast out today thanks to an incompatibility with some software. But we did, and the news is:
- Software updates come hard and fast from Apple today
- iFixit gets its hands slapped and the keys to the car taken away
- iFixit also found out that the iPhone 6s isn't waterproof, but it's certainly more water resistant
- Several third-party apps get the El Capitan treatment
BeLight Software is giving away free copies of its Mac backup and cloning app Get Backup Pro -- normally $19.95 -- today to get you ready for OS X El Capitan. The free deal is only available until 11:59 PDT tonight, so download it now!Read More
OS X El Capitan's coming tomorrow - are you ready to upgrade?
- Make sure you get a good full backup or Time Machine backup of your favorite Mac tonight
- Google Maps comes to Apple Watch
- Pixar gets hands-on with the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil
- Apple Pay may end up in the Great White North in October
September has been a great month for Apple fans, with updates to all major operating systems. First it was iOS 9, then watchOS 2, and now Mac OS X El Capitan will be officially available tomorrow.Read More
Lots of fun little news items on today's podcast:
- Honda announces that the 2016 Civic will come with CarPlay support
- Microsoft's CEO does a demo with an iPhone
- Apple - we need your help!
- OS X El Capitan 10.11.1 beta is released to developers
- Samsung got its hand slapped again in an appeals court, once again over that same old case that's been going on since I was a little boy