By now, most readers of Apple World Today are aware of the fact that I’m learning guitar as a 61-year-old. The great thing about learning now as an adult is that all of the technological tools I’m using to help me advance weren’t available when I was a teenager, so I have a real advantage. Since I’m learning electric guitar, an amplifier isn’t just something nice to have — it’s a necessity. IK Multimedia provided me with one of their iRig Micro Amps (MSRP, $149.99) for testing and use during my learning experience, and today I’ll take you on a tour of the features of this small, but powerful device.Read More
At the beginning of July, I told Apple World Today readers about my new goal - to learn how to play electric guitar. If you read that article, you know why I’m embarking on this new musical journey. Today, I’ll describe how I’m intending to achieve my goal.Read More
5G cell phone modems, keyboard controllers, and questionable "inventions" make it to the Apple World Today News Update podcast:
- Intel outlines its new modem chip roadmap, including 5G NR modems that could be used in Apple products by 2019-2020
- IK Multimedia announced two new keyboard controllers for use with iOS, Mac, and Windows
- We take a jaundiced look at some of the other items on Time's "25 best inventions of 2017" list
Last week, we took a look at the IK Multimedia iRig Studio Mic, a compact microphone made especially for recording sound from iPad or iPhone. The mic received a five-star rating (the top rating we give in reviews), so I was looking forward to reviewing the latest version of software designed just for the mic -- IK Multimedia iRig Recorder 3 for iOS ($7.99 plus in-app purchases).Read More
Those of us who do a lot of audio recording usually have big "studio mics" to work with, but those rigs -- usually attached to a flexible arm with a pop filter attached -- aren't exactly portable. Recording away from the office or studio doesn't mean you have to give up a quality microphone, though. Today I'm looking at the IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio (US$179, as low as $144.06 through affiliate link. Apple World Today will receive remuneration from affiliate purchases), a small microphone with big sound.Read More
'Twas the day before iPhone 7 and all through the house, everybody was waiting for the UPS guy, that louse... Sorry, but I couldn't think of anything that rhymed. Anyway, we have a lot of fun little stories for you on the podcast today:
- Apple ships a second Golden Master of macOS Sierra
- A look at a 2014 filing shows that a company that's creating long-distance wireless charging technology expects to get "Apple certification"
- Planning on watching the NFL Thursday Night Football game on Twitter tonight?
- IK Multimedia comes out with an audio interface that just happens to work with Lightning ports
IK Multimedia's iLoud $249.99 is a convenient portable stereo speaker designed for studio monitor quality on-the-on. It packs some punch thanks to its 40W RMS of power, and it's clear at all volume levels thanks to an onboard DSP processor and a bi-amped 4-driver array of high efficient neodymium loudspeakers that provide accurate, even response across the entire frequency spectrum.Read More