5G cell phone modems, keyboard controllers, and questionable "inventions" make it to the Apple World Today News Update podcast:
- Intel outlines its new modem chip roadmap, including 5G NR modems that could be used in Apple products by 2019-2020
- IK Multimedia announced two new keyboard controllers for use with iOS, Mac, and Windows
- We take a jaundiced look at some of the other items on Time's "25 best inventions of 2017" list
Last week, we took a look at the IK Multimedia iRig Studio Mic, a compact microphone made especially for recording sound from iPad or iPhone. The mic received a five-star rating (the top rating we give in reviews), so I was looking forward to reviewing the latest version of software designed just for the mic -- IK Multimedia iRig Recorder 3 for iOS ($7.99 plus in-app purchases).Read More
Those of us who do a lot of audio recording usually have big "studio mics" to work with, but those rigs -- usually attached to a flexible arm with a pop filter attached -- aren't exactly portable. Recording away from the office or studio doesn't mean you have to give up a quality microphone, though. Today I'm looking at the IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio (US$179, as low as $144.06 through affiliate link. Apple World Today will receive remuneration from affiliate purchases), a small microphone with big sound.Read More
'Twas the day before iPhone 7 and all through the house, everybody was waiting for the UPS guy, that louse... Sorry, but I couldn't think of anything that rhymed. Anyway, we have a lot of fun little stories for you on the podcast today:
- Apple ships a second Golden Master of macOS Sierra
- A look at a 2014 filing shows that a company that's creating long-distance wireless charging technology expects to get "Apple certification"
- Planning on watching the NFL Thursday Night Football game on Twitter tonight?
- IK Multimedia comes out with an audio interface that just happens to work with Lightning ports
IK Multimedia's iLoud $249.99 is a convenient portable stereo speaker designed for studio monitor quality on-the-on. It packs some punch thanks to its 40W RMS of power, and it's clear at all volume levels thanks to an onboard DSP processor and a bi-amped 4-driver array of high efficient neodymium loudspeakers that provide accurate, even response across the entire frequency spectrum.Read More