On July 23, Bloomberg claimed Apple had asked the Trump administration to exclude components that make up the forthcoming Mac Pro high-end desktop computer from import tariffs, weeks after planning to re-locate production of the line to China from Texas. However, the tech giant won’t get such a break, according to U.S. President Donald Trump.Read More
It's Thursday, so we'll look at one throwback that failed but has been reborn, some updates to Apple Maps, and how Tim and Donald got along:
Apple Maps received some good updates during the month, including several indoor airport maps, lane guidance for some European countries, and public transit instructions for five US states
Tim Cook and Donald Trump had a productive meeting yesterday, with Cook lauding the tax cuts and tax reform, saying that Apple will be investing in the USA
Remember the flop that was Snapchat Spectacles? Well, Spectacles 2 are out today, with some new features that might make them popular.
Apple spent $2.2 million lobbying the Donald Trump administration in Washington D.C. between April 1 and June 30, 2017, according to a disclosure form filed by the Office of the Clerk of the U.S. House of Representatives — as noted by recode. That’s almost double the moolah spent on lobbying from the same three month period in 2016.Read More
Apps, hackers, tech summits and Apple Pay all make an appearance in today's Apple World Today News Update Podcast:
- TapTapTap releases Camera+ 9, turning the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus into amazing photographic tools
- Yahoo! You've been hacked!
- President-elect Donald Trump held his tech summit today, and asked Tim Cook and Elon Musk to stay after class...
- You can now fly the friendly skies and more with Apple Pay.
Love him or hate him, you have to admit that President-elect Donald Trump has wasted no time in making his cabinet picks and moving on stimulating the economy. Trump has scheduled a "tech summit" at Trump Tower in Manhattan this Wednesday with numerous tech leaders to discuss how the administration can work to reform the corporate tax code, get better trade deals set up with other countries, and reduce regulation. Among the expected attendees? Apple CEO Tim Cook.Read More
President-elect Donald Trump has vowed to bring Apple manufacturing of iPhones back to the U.S. Some pundits have said that will never happen as it would make the cost of the smartphone skyrocket, but that might not be the case.Read More
In the world of Apple it was a surprisingly slow news day, but we dug around the Interwebz and found a couple of stories for you:
- Facebook is set to start allowing companies to send you advertising via Facebook Messenger, although it will be tightly controlled
- Apple CEO Tim Cook and President-elect Donald Trump agree on one topic - repatriation of corporate profits held overseas at a reduced tax rate
In today's Apple World Today News Update:
- The new San Francisco flagship Apple Store opened to the press today, and it's quite impressive
- Guess what presidential candidate who called for a boycott of Apple in February owns stock in the company?
- Apple may be able to successfully appeal a Chinese company's appropriation of the iPhone trademark in the country
- Here's a switch - the makers of the new Angry Birds movie are asking you to turn your phone on during the end credits
In an interview with the Daily News Editorial Board, Bernie Sanders, a Democratic candidate for President of the United States, was asked the unusual question if Apple is destroying the fabric of America. He said “no,” but added that he wished the company would manufacture in America and stop trying to avoid paying taxes.Read More