The last day of August brings just a few stories for the AWT News Update:
- CBS announces a new "commercial-free" tier for All Access, although viewers will be treated to some ads anyway...
- Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 is temporarily being withheld from specific markets due to exploding battery pack issues. We talk abut those issues and another problem with the flagship phone.
- Tapbots delivers a public beta of its new Pastebot for Mac
One of the subscription channels you can purchase on just about any Apple TV -- not just the new one -- is CBS All Access. It's a $5.99 subscription streaming service that shows most new CBS TV shows on iPhone, iPad and Apple TV, as well as 7,500 older episodes on demand. Well, hold onto your Captain's Chair, because it's just been announced that a new Star Trek series will premiere in January of 2017 exclusively on CBS All Access.Read More
There's a lot of media-related Apple news today...
- Tim Cook reports on how many Apple Music subscribers the company now has paying for the service
- The 4th-generation Apple TV is on the way next week, and current Apple TVs get three new channels
- Apple Pay adds 72 more US banks and credit unions, bringing the total to over 600.
- A 1Password file was displaying unencrypted metadata
It's iOS 9 Eve (not to mention watchOS 2 Eve), and lots of developers are busy getting their updates in ahead of the official launches tomorrow. Here's what we have for the news today:
- iOS 9 will show up tomorrow, but you might want to hold back just a little while before upgrading
- Lots of iOS 9 and watchOS 2 app upgrades are available today
- Tim Cook chats a bit with John Paczkowski at Buzzfeed about... a lot of things
- CBS is planning to launch its All Access service for the new Apple TV