As Apple and Amazon compete for a greater share of consumer dollars and attention, they also have a particularly intimate business relationship: Apple is spending more than $30 million a month on Amazon's cloud, according to people familiar with the arrangement, according to Jordan Novet, technology reporter for CNBC.Read More
Consumers are concerned about the privacy and security of their data, yet want a more personalized experience from brands, according to a new survey of more than 1,000 consumers from SmarterHQ, a multichannel behavioral marketing platform. Their results — which I find surprising — finds Amazon has earned the most trust from today’s consumers by a landslide.Read More
Reuters reports that Amazon and Google’s Alphabet division both discounted their virtual assistant speakers so deeply over the holiday shopping season that they likely lost a few dollars per unit, “highlighting a sharply different strategy from Apple as it prepares its HomePod speaker,” according to pundits such as Paul Erickson, a senior analyst with IHS Markit and Adam Wright, senior research analyst at IDC.Read More
Here at Apple World Today, and at TUAW before that, I've been a fan of Fuse Chicken. The company is a fast-growing design house / accessory manufacturer out of Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio that first came to my notice when it set up a Kickstarter campaign for the Bobine -- an iPhone Charging dock that used a unique metal-clad flexible sheath around a USB - Lightning cable to support the phone and charge it. That design is what's behind a lawsuit filed by Fuse Chicken against Amazon as the result of the online retailer mixing counterfeit cables in with real product.Read More
As the month of September winds down and the daylight hours start getting shorter, we have a shorter than usual podcast for you today.
- iOS 11 is now installed on 25% of all iOS devices, a bit slower than last year but a much higher uptake rate than Android ever sees
- You can now fill your Starbucks card from Apple Pay on the Apple Watch
- Twitter is testing longer tweets, for even longer rants by unhinged individuals
- Amazon and Apple are apparently best buds now, with the Apple TV reappearing on Amazon after a two-year hiatus
It's High Sierra Day, and we have a bit of info for owners of one particular model of Mac Pro. Everything else for today deals with other Apple products: iPhones, iPad Pros, the Apple TV 4K, and more!
- Netflix has added HDR support for iOS on the iPhone 8, iPhone X and 2017 iPad Pros
- Warning! All-glass iPhones like the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and upcoming iPhone X can and do break, so get a case for your phone and purchase AppleCare+
- Have a 2012 - 2013 Mac Pro "cheese grater"? It gets a firmware update when you upgrade the device to macOS High Sierra
- Amazon has drastically lowered prices on 4K movie titles