Reuters reports that Amazon and Google’s Alphabet division both discounted their virtual assistant speakers so deeply over the holiday shopping season that they likely lost a few dollars per unit, “highlighting a sharply different strategy from Apple as it prepares its HomePod speaker,” according to pundits such as Paul Erickson, a senior analyst with IHS Markit and Adam Wright, senior research analyst at IDC.Read More
Alphabet, Google’s parent company, is collaborating with Apple, AT&T, and government agencies including the FCC, FAA, and FEMA, to deliver limited wireless Internet access to Puerto Rico via the company's Project Loon balloons, as announced in a blog post by Alistair Westgarth, head of Project Loon.Read More
Sometimes you have to wonder what tech analysts and pundits are thinking. There are two op-ed pieces today suggesting changes to Apple that simply aren’t going to happen. One recommends breaking Apple into separate companies. The other recommends firing Tim Cook.Read More
Apple retains pole position for the 5th year in a row in PwC’s Global Top 100 ranking; however, a $121 billion (17%) decrease in market cap sees the gap with second ranked Alphabet narrow from $350 billion last year to just $86 billion Alphabet, a subsidiary of Google, briefly dethroned Apple in February 2016.Read More
Our Apple news update spans the world of weirdness today:
- Alphabet chairman Eric Schmidt takes photos and texts folks at a South Korean Google event...with an iPhone
- Apple announced it's upcoming product event on March 21, and we're not invited
- Nest adds "Home/Away Assist" to its app with GPS support, so the furnace doesn't shut off when Dad leaves the home
- Sonos makes a commitment to streaming music
Well, that didn’t last long. For a brief moment Google’s parent company, Alphabet, overtook Apple as the world’s most valuable company. But Apple has regain the top spot as the Cupertino, California-based company’s stocks have risen since Monday.Read More
It's a slow, sleepy and snowy February day with just a little news about Apple today:
- Don't look now, but Alphabet is about to take over Apple's spot as the world's most valuable company
- The NHL 7.0 app for iOS is out now (and on Apple TV, too), and it's AWESOME!
- Just one model of the iPad -- the iPad Pro -- sold more units in the holiday quarter than all models of the Microsoft Surface
- The FCC has granted approval for Verizon and Qualcomm to begin testing of LTE-U
Stormy weather hit the Colorado office of AWT today, and while it was raining cats, dogs, and buffalo, some other hot news items were taking place:
- Google now has a parent company, Alphabet.
- Amex corporate cards are now usable under Apple Pay
- Did you buy MacKeeper at some point? You'll be eligible for a refund thanks to a settlement in a class action lawsuit.
- Force Touch is apparently a feature on the upcoming (and rumored) iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus.