Apple has retained the lead in India's premium smartphone market thanks to the iPhone X, according to new data from Counterpoint Research.
According to the research group’s latest analysis on the Indian handset market, the premium smartphone segment was the second fastest growing segment (up 20% year-over-year) in calendar year 2017. Counterpoint Research found that:
- Although the segment is more crowded than a year ago, the top three brands, Apple, OnePlus and Samsung, still contribute to 94% of the overall premium market segment.
- Apple is still the leader in the premium segment, capturing 47% share during Q4 2017 and 38% during 2017, driven by strong shipments of iPhone X and iPhone 7.
- However, demand for iPhone 8 remains soft and, as a result, the overall Apple shipments in the premium segment declined 31% year-over-year. The decline is also partly due to last year’s strong quarter, when sales of the iPhones spiked owing to demonetization and the high volume of cash transactions.
- The quarter also saw strong promotions for iPhone through e-commerce channels (Amazon iPhone fest) and operators (iPhone X with Airtel).
- OnePlus (from a Chinese smartphone manufacturer) was the fastest growing brand (plus 343%) in the segment — capturing 25% during quarter four of 2017 and 19% for calendar year 2017.