In a note to clients — as noted by StreetInsider — KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo lists his 10 predictions for the new Apple iPhone models coming this year. One of those forecasts is that Touch ID will completely disappear from OLED “iPhone 8s” (shown in a fanciful mock-up).
The analyst hints that Apple may ditch the tech completely for new forms of biometric security such as 3D sensing for facial recognition. Kuo is expecting three iPhone models in 4.7-inch, 5.5-inch and 5.8-inch versions. His other predictions:
- The OLED iPhone (the 5.8-inch version) and 5.5-inch LCD model will both come with DRAM capacity of 3GB (for dual-camera requirements), while the 4.7-inch model will only use 2GB DRAM (for only single camera).
- All three models will all come with 64GB and 256GB storage options.
- All three new models will have a Lightning port; however, there will be an embedded USB-C power delivery IC for higher charging efficiency.
- The output power of the receiver and speaker of OLED iPhone will be more consistent to create better stereo effects.
- The OLED version will offer fewer options for casing colors than LCD iPhone models.
Kuo forecasts 80-85 million shipments of iPhones in fiscal year 2017 with an equal split between OLED & LCD versions.