Rather than buying a bucketful of dongles to give the 2016 MacBook Pro the same ports as the previous MacBook Pro models, almost 18,000 backers have pledged almost $1.6 million toward a Kickstarter campaign that does it all with one small hub. The HyperDrive from Sanho Corporation plugs into two Thunderbolt 3 ports on the new MacBook Pro and gives the user HDMI, USB 3.1 (two), microSD/SD, Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C ports in return.
There are three days left in this campaign, with just a handful of devices left at a $69 pre-order level. The HyperDrive is expected to ship in March, and will come in either silver or space gray to match your MacBook Pro. Even at the expected retail price of $99, the device is less expensive and certainly better looking than a tangle of dongles. Check out the specs:
Input Connectivity: 2 x Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C (50Gb/s)
- HDMI supporting 1080p@60Hz, 4K@30Hz
- Thunderbolt 3 supporting video up to 5K or 2 x 4K@60Hz, 40Gb/s data and max 100W full speed power delivery pass through charging
- USB-C data (5Gb/s)
- SD (UHS-I 104MB/s)
- micro SD (UHS-I 104MB/s)
- 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5Gb/s)
- Power efficiency: Up to 96%
- Device Operating Temperature: Less than 48ºC / 118ºF
- Enclosure: CNC aluminum available in Space Gray & Silver color
- Dimensions: 4.5" x 1.1" x 0.3" / 115 x 28.5 x 8.5mm
- Weight: 1.2oz / 34g
If you own or are thinking of buying a 2016 MacBook Pro, the HyperDrive is definitely worth checking out.