Education has certainly changed since those days in the 70s and 80s when I spent my days (BSCE) and nights (MBA) in stuffy college classrooms with one goal -- to get a degree. Now people learn a variety of skills from a number of sources, everything from conferences and video podcasts to online courses and informal group experiences. Degreed is a new free app that is being released today for the sole purpose of bringing together the new ways of learning with the need to standardize and quantify what's been learned in order to fuel careers.
Degreed started life as a web app, and it's still a powerful online resource. But now it's possible to get use your iPhone to "discover, track, utilize and share learning from any source." Key features of the app include:
- Personal Degreed Profile: Connect your mobile learning seamlessly to your online Degreed profile, where you’ll see analytics and insights into your learning habits and can display a lifelong record of your learning.
- Curated Learning Content: Daily personalized playlists of videos, articles, podcasts, and various other learning content delivered daily, based on your interests, preferences and social network.
- Instant Capture: Seamlessly add all of the content you’ve learned while on-the-go directly to your Degreed profile.
- Saved Content: Save articles, videos, etc. to review later on the app; instant & automatic transfer from desktop to mobile.
- Learning Network: Build a community and socialize (via Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp, SMS) with people who are learning the same things you are and are interested in the same topics.
So what are you waiting for? Whether you're still in school or have been out for 40 years, it's never too late to learn something new and Degreed's a way to put all of your life experiences and classroom learning to work for you.