WaterField Designs, to celebrate its 18th successful year in business, has announced a modern update to its Cargo bag, a messenger-briefcase.
Initially designed to blend the benefits of his bicycle messenger bag with the functionality of a briefcase as he moved into a more professional setting, owner Gary Waterfield’s now upgraded Cargo ($349) reflects a culmination of 18 years of customer feedback; it’s streamlined into one ideal size, more functional with new modern features.
“As a bike messenger, I lived out of my bag, but when I started an office job, I needed the versatility of a messenger bag—but one with more functionality—so I created the Cargo. Even after all this time, our first bag is still one of our best selling,” says Waterfield. “We’ve both been here now for 18 years, but unlike me, the Cargo is getting a handsome new facelift. It’s now more functional and beautiful than ever.”
The new Cargo retains the spirit of the original and improves upon its looks and functionality, he adds. The authentic paragliding closure is now smoothly integrated with a seamless, leather flap for a cleaner look to match a simplified body shape and design. Water field says that new features include:
- A padded laptop compartment that fits up to a 15-inch MacBook is now built into the main compartment increasing the bag’s usability and decreasing its overall weight;
- A padded iPad compartment (fits up to iPad Pro 13-inch) is built onto the front of the laptop compartment;
- A suitcase slot, located on a rear, deep newspaper pocket, slips over rolling suitcase handles to make trips through airports more convenient;
- New waterproof zippers on the front flap and main compartment help further weather-proof the Cargo;
- A secret phone pocket (fits up to iPhone 6+ size), located inside the front flap zippered pocket, keeps phones accessible and safe.