Lisa Jackson, Apple’s vice president of Environment, Policy, and Social Initiatives, took the stage at today’s “Let Us Loop You In” event, to introduce Liam, a robotic system build by engineers in California, that that deconstructs used iPhones to help recover and recycle parts.
In addition to Liam, Jackson also noted that:
- Apple’s goal is to become 100% renewable in 100% of its operations, worldwide.
- Currently 93% of the company’s global operations run on renewable energy.
- One hundred of Apple’s operations in the U.S. and its offices and stores in China operate on renewable energy.
- One hundred percent of the company’s data centers are powered by the sun, wind, or water.
- Apple is permanently preserving up to 36,000 acres of forests.
- Ninety-nine percent of Apple’s packaging is recycled or comes from sustainably managed forests