Fifth Third Bank has added Touch ID biometric capabilities to its mobile banking app for the iPhone. Touch ID allows fingerprint authentication for enabled devices, letting customers log into their Fifth Third app with their fingers or thumbs instead of a password.
The Bank’s mobile app allows people to:
- Access their balance without logging in, using Now Balance;
- Make payments;
- Transfer money with a few taps;
- Deposit a check with just a hover;
- Set up alerts with the swipe of a thumb;
- Check the past 24 months of statements;
- Log in with Touch ID for iOS.
Fifth Third Bank added Touch ID as a response to its customers’ requests, says Chad Borton, executive vice president and head of the Consumer Bank for Fifth Third Bank. Mobile banking is outpacing online banking for the bank’s customers, with mobile banking increasing 43% from 2014 to 2015, with 19 million mobile banking logins last year. In December of 2015, nearly one-fifth of all Fifth Third consumer deposits were made via mobile, an increase of 36% over December of 2014.