Blancco Technology Group report shows Android devices fail at a higher rate than iOS equipment

State of Mobile Device Performance and Health Report Q4 2015, Blancco Technology Group

State of Mobile Device Performance and Health Report Q4 2015, Blancco Technology Group

Blancco Technology Group released its "State of Mobile Device Performance and Health" trend report for the fourth quarter of 2015 (ending 12/31/15), and the results pretty much show what iOS owners already know -- iOS devices don't fail very often. The most interesting finding? Most of the time failures aren't hardware related.

The key takeaway was that 85% of device failures came from Android devices, and it's not just because there are more of them in the wild. The information is based on failure rate -- not total failures -- and iOS devices had much fewer (the remaining 15%) issues. Of all of the failures, the majority (27%) were devices made by Samsung, 21% were from Lenovo, and 18% were from Motorola with other manufacturers making up the remainder. 

What the report points out is that most of the "failures" result in a NTF -- no trouble found -- diagnosis, and that the lion's share of the problems are due to user behavior. The report showed that:

  • Users tend to excessively charge devices more than they should, reducing battery shelf life.
  • Apps crash when the users don't update the apps or operating system to the latest version, and customers service reps can't discern what causes the apps to crash.
  • Background use of GPS can reduce battery life and eat into the memory and overall performance of devices.
  • Microphone and audio issues are often app-specific, resulting in misdiagnosis of issues as being hardware related

One other interesting tidbit of information: most reports of "device failures", a full 50%, come from Asia. It's thought that social networking and messaging apps (like WhatsApp, WeChat and Line) are used more frequently in Asia, and many mobile users in the Asia market are using multiple apps and using group chats, all of which slow down device performance and use more battery. 

Blancco points out that having NTF device returns costs both manufacturers and carriers millions, so user and customer service representative training could save time, effort and money.