Rumor: TSMC to be the sole supplier of processors for next iPhones

Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing (TSMC) will be the exclusive supplier of mobile processors for Apple’s next iPhones, reports South Korea's Electronic Times — as noted by Reuters.TSMC is the world's largest dedicated independent semiconductor foundry, with its headquarters and main operations located in the Hsinchu Science and Industrial Park in Hsinchu, Taiwan.

This fan mockup of an iPhone 7 is courtesy of dailytech.com.

This fan mockup of an iPhone 7 is courtesy of dailytech.com.

Quoting unnamed industry sources, the article says TSMC beat rival chipmaker Samsung to make the processors using 10-nanometre manufacturing technology, the report said. Samsung and TSMC both supply the processors for the iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus. Currently, estimates have Samsung making 60% to 70% of Apple’s A9 processor, with TSMC handling the remaining 30% to 40%.