AWT News Update: September 22, 2015

Just three little stories for this last day of summer:

  • Haven't received a shipping notice from Apple about your iPhone 6s/6s Plus? Don't fret, there's a way to check where it is without a tracking number.
  • An indie developer tells you how to wear your Apple Watch almost 24/7
  • The high school senior who owes his life to his Apple Watch gets a call from Tim Cook

The text version is below, the video version will return when Periscope is fixed. 

Text Version

Hi, I’m Steve Sande from Apple World Today, and this is the AWT News Update for September 22, 2015. We have a new sponsor this week: Bushel, providing organizations of all sizes with Mobile Device Management tools that are low-cost and easy to use. Learn more at

Did you pre-order an iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus? If you did and haven’t received a shipping notice yet, there’s still a way to find out if your phone is on the way to your home or office. Just go to the UPS website, click on tracking, then click on track by reference. Enter your phone’s phone number in the shipment reference, enter other appropriate information, and then click Track. You’ll find out where that iPhone is on the long journey from Shenzhen, China to you. Thanks to Susie Ochs at Macworld for coming up with this great tip.

David Smith is an independent iOS developer who has recently come out with an Apple Watch app called Sleep++ that uses the motion tracking capabilities of the Apple Watch to track how well you’re sleeping. Well, to track your sleep, you have to be wearing the Watch when you’re sleeping, right? So when do you charge the Watch? Smith found out that in his downtime — when he’s getting ready to start his day and at night when he’s getting ready to go to bed — he can get just enough charging time to keep the Watch happy. Smith says that when the Apple Watch is less than 80% charged, it will recharge at a rate of about 1% per minute. He suggests finding out how full your battery currently is just before you charge it at night, say 60%, and then find the time to charge the other 40% — about 40 minutes — during your downtime. The great thing about this is that you can use the silent alarms to wake you up, and you’ll also be able to use Sleep++ to get an idea of just how deep your sleep really is. Oh, and remember to put your Watch in airplane mode before you go to bed.

Remember our story from the other day about Paul Houle, a high school football player from Massachusetts who said the Apple Watch saved his life? Houle noticed that his heartrate was elevated for two hours after football practice, got concerned, and went to the hospital where he was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis. The condition could have killed him if he hadn’t noticed the racing heart rate. Well, Tim Cook heard about the incident and Houle’s comment, and he rewarded the teenager with an offer of a new iPhone and a summer internship. It’s a nice gesture by Apple, and one that’s sure to get some publicity in the ramp up for the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus release on Friday.

I’ll be back tomorrow afternoon with another edition of the AWT News Update.