According to a new report from Atlas VPN, which makes a free virtual private network (VPN) app, the development of macOS malware surged by 1,092% in 2020.
To be exact, 674,273 new malware samples were found in 2020, when there were only 56,556 samples detected in 2019. The report shows that:
- macOS malware development surged by 1,092% in 2020.
- New macOS threats hit a historical high at 674,273 samples.
- In 2020, hackers focused more of their attention towards Apple’s desktop OS and created an average of 1,847 threats every day.
- Also, a record-high of 91.05 million new Windows malware samples were discovered in 2020.
- Hackers developed an average of 249,452 new Windows threats per day.